Remember there will one case study question, you can skip the question is you want.But in that you must be well prepared for the other questions.
Further, i agree that question asked in the exam is always out of the module but it is not out of the syallbus.Whatever it is given in the module is the keywords and you must have a deep knowledge of that keywords.
For example in module there is short introductory note about the Pricing, not in detail one, but during June 2013 exam it was asked in 15 marks question as Pricing strategy of Nike.
Since i have done MBA so i know how to prepare for it.But the questions you asked is board one. Instead if you do not know any concept or strategy thn post your query over here i will try to solve it.
Still i m trying to sort out your query below in detailed:
1) you can follow the Thomsan ans Stickland book for SM:
1) It is the best book for SM used by all MBA students
2) If you refer this book then no one can beat you in SM
3) The books have two part one meant for the Theory (around 600 page) and another for Case study (around 500 pages)
1) It is too bulky and difficult to understand for a Non- MBA Student.
2) It also include some extra content which is not included in the syllabus
If you managed the above book and read it properly then your problem is solved. Remember this book is followed by all MBA Institute.
One another book is followed by the MBA college, i don't remember the name but it was Indian Editions of Cengage Learning.
Above both books are the best books for SM.I don't have enough time to study such a big book,so what should i do now?
I know you are a CMA student not a MBA Student, So it will be a waste of time to study such books. So i suggest you to go through the following notes and materials for clearing the CMA SM paper
1) Yes, they asked the question out of module but they did not asked the question out of compendium. Remember, all the question are asked are from the compendium provided certain twisted format.
2) Objective question are asked from the compendium only. 100% sure. Do Scanner and Compendium for objective question. you will surely get 25 marks for the same.
3) Skip the case study, as i have did in the exam. One case study will be asked in the exam which you can skip in the exam in OR questions.
4) Remember this is theory paper, so write it as if you are writing theory subject economics
5) You can managed to get the e book i mean soft copy of the above both books.
If you managed to get the SM eBooks then please send to me.
6) I have uploaded the Ppt presentation of both books at techshristi. You will get ppt presentation at the following locations
1) Ppt presentation by the authorhttp://www.techshristi.com/category/202/strategic-management-ppt-notes/
2) Ppt presentation by students in class presentation (For MBA students Presentation is compulsory)http://forum.techshristi.com/mba/
I suggest you the second one because we are taught by a genius faculty who always insist us to make the ppt presentation with a lots of pictures and colourful example.
In each class room ppts you will get 5 to 10 examples, excluding the example given in the book.
Further at last please refer the tips i have given in the following article:http://forum.techshristi.com/strategy-management/how-to-write-sm-paper/
To know how to download the notes given at the website please follow the following link:http://www.techshristi.com/page/10/how-to-downloads/
Please do not go for the spelling mistake made in this article, i m not a professional writer and i even do not have enough time to write such a long tips. Though i spend some time to share my knowledge and managed to provided you all the tips with in the limited time.